Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Chicken Paprika

Chicken Paprika is my son's all time favorite dish.  In case you've never read my blog before, let me first say that my son is also known as the pickiest eater ever.  But, when I cook Chicken Paprika, he can't get enough!  I have a picture of him when he was about two years old with his face in the plate.  He was eating it like he was in a pie eating contest.  Look Mom no hands!  But, I'm not complaining.  At least he's eating.  My daughter and my husband like it, too.  A rare dish that we all agree on.  Woohoo!

I learned how to make this dish in a cooking class I took in college.  I had never tasted it before and just fell in love with it.  I've been making it ever since.


CHICKEN PAPRIKA

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 small onion, thinly sliced
3 TBS butter
3 Tbs canola oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp paprika
3/4 cup chicken broth
8 oz sour cream

Saute onion in butter and oil on medium-low heat until caramelized.  This takes some time, but it is very important.  The onions should look like this:


Remove the onions from the skillet and set aside.  Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper and paprika.  Brown chicken over medium heat about 5 minutes per side.  Return the onions and add the broth to the skillet.  Bring to a boil.  Lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  Remove chicken and place on a serving platter.  Turn off heat then add in sour cream.  If you put the sour cream in when it's on the heat, the sour cream will curdle!  Just blend the sour cream into the broth and it will make a delicious sauce.  Pour the sauce over the chicken.  I like to serve this over angel hair pasta.




This is what it looks like when it's finished.  I hope you'll give this one a try.  Who knows, maybe your kids will go all "pie eating contest" too!  Just put out some extra napkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment