Thursday, December 13, 2012

Stained Glass Cookies

Next, in my series of Christmas treats is a really fun, really pretty project.  It may look difficult, but it's not.  I thought it would be hard, too, at first.  I've actually had this recipe for years and never attempted it because I figured it would be too much trouble.  But, something made me give it a try and I'm so glad I did.  It was easy and these cookies turn out beautiful!  Here's how I did it:

*Note:  you will need aluminum foil, cookie cutters - large and small sizes.

STAINED GLASS COOKIES

Sugar cookie dough (store-bought or use my recipe from the Christmas Cookie post)
Jolly Rancher candies

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with aluminum foil.  Roll out the cookie dough on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness.  Cut out desired shapes.  Transfer to foil-lined cookie sheets.  Using a smaller cookie cutter, cut out centers of the cookies.  (you can bake the centers at another time and make mini cookies or re-roll them with the scraps of dough to make more cookies)
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden and almost cooked through.


Meanwhile, place like-colored Jolly Ranchers into small zip bags and crush them with a rolling pin or small pot.


Fill cutout centers of the cookies with the crushed candy.  Return the cookie sheet to the oven for 2 minutes or until the candies are melted and smooth.  Do not overbake or the candy will lose it's color.  Transfer to a rack and cool completely.


  Then, carefully peel the aluminum foil away from the cookies.


They turn out so pretty!  Perfect for Christmas!  You can see through them, just like stained glass.


So, don't be intimidated by these cookies like I was.  As you can see, they are so simple to make.  And wouldn't these be pretty all boxed up as a gift?  They'll think you're Martha Stewart when they see these!

No comments:

Post a Comment