Monday, March 18, 2013

Chicken & Vegetables

I just had ankle surgery (again) and am in a cast for a while.  I am not allowed to put any weight on my ankle, so it's difficult for me to stand.  That makes it difficult for me to cook.  I can't stand over a stove and babysit what I'm cooking.  So, I have to make dishes that are either really quick or slow cooked in the oven or crockpot.  Today I'm blogging about one of the slow cooked variety.  And it's so versatile, you can make it in the oven or the crockpot.  When it's cool out, I make it in the oven.  When it's hot and I don't want to heat up the kitchen (which is quite frequent in South Louisiana) I use the crockpot.  Last night was one of those rare occasions when I made it in the oven.  But I'll give you directions for both ways.  It is very easy to make and so delicious!  Here it is:

CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES

2 lbs bone-in chicken thighs (or drumsticks, or just cut up a whole chicken-whatever you have)
season salt
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
4 red potatoes (any potato will do) cut into medium-sized chunks, leave skin on
2 sweet potatoes, cut into large chunks (if you cut them too small they will turn to mush)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 pkg chicken gravy mix (such as McCormick)

To make in the oven:  Place all prepared vegetables in a large baking dish.  Season with season salt and stir well.  Season chicken with season salt.  Place chicken on top of vegetables in baking dish.




Next, mix together the diced tomatoes and the chicken gravy mix.


Pour the mixture over the chicken, covering it completely.


Cover the baking dish tightly with foil.  Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through.


The juice from the chicken mixes with the tomato and gravy mix to create a delicious sauce.  The vegetables absorb all of the flavor from the chicken.  They are tender and yummy!


I serve this with rice to absorb all the juices.  Very good!  Always a hit with the family.  In fact, it is one of my husband's favorite dishes.

To make it in the crockpot:  You follow the same directions, only putting all the ingredients into the crockpot instead of a baking dish.  Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.  I find it works best on low.

So, I hope you get a chance to make this dish and your family likes it as much as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment