Sunday, January 26, 2014

Cajun Mardi Gras Cake

Today my Mama and Daddy came to visit.  I wanted to make something sweet to share with them.  My Daddy loves coconut and pecans, so I immediately thought of this cake.  It's easy, super delicious, plus, I always have the ingredients on hand.  I don't know where it got it's name, but I've been making this cake for as long as I can remember.  One taste and you'll know why.

Note:  I made half this recipe because I only had 1/2 cup of pecans on hand.  But, if you can, make the whole recipe.  It won't go to waste, trust me.  Here's the whole recipe.

CAJUN MARDI GRAS CAKE

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple

Topping

3/4 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 sticks butter
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cup coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract

To make the cake:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x13 cake pan with cooking spray.  Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.  Add eggs and pineapple with juice.  Mix at low speed just until blended.



Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Don't over cook or it will be dry!  Have topping ready when cake is done.




To make the topping:

In a medium saucepan, combine evaporated milk, sugar and butter.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Boil for 2 minutes, stirring the whole time.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans.


When cake comes out of the oven, use a skewer (or end of a wooden spoon or a fork) to poke holes all over the cake.  Do this while it's hot.


Spread the topping over the cake.




Let it cool before cutting.


This cake is so good!  The topping is amazing!  You could even just make the topping and pour it over store bought pound cake for a super fast "homemade" dessert.  Or, you could spread it on brownies!  Ooh, that would be awesome!  Or, pour it over ice cream!  Sorry, I get excited about food the way others get excited about winning the lottery.  It's irrational and crazy, but fun.  So, enjoy this cake during the upcoming Mardi Gras season and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment