Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Crockpot BBQ Ribs

I have always been afraid to make ribs.  I had too many questions!  How do I get them tender?  Do I really have to babysit them for hours?  Do I need a smoker?

Finally, I found this recipe in AllRecipes Magazine.  It looked so easy and the reviews were great.  Plus, you use a crockpot, which I love!  So, I gave it a try on Super Bowl Sunday.  It worked beautifully.  The ribs were delicious and super tender (pun intended, ha ha).  I changed the sauce recipe a little to make it more to my family's tastes.  Here's how I did it:

Note:  You can easily double this recipe as long as you have a large crock pot.

CROCKPOT BBQ RIBS

2 lbs ribs (baby back or rib tips, I used tips)
Salt/pepper
1 cup BBQ sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Dash of hot sauce

This recipe starts in the oven and finishes in the crockpot.  This is really important!  It helps brown the ribs and it gets rid of some of the fat.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Season the ribs with salt and pepper.  Place in a shallow baking dish.  Brown in the oven for 15 minutes.  Turn over and brown another 15 minutes.  Drain the fat.


Put the ribs in the crockpot.  Mix BBQ sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.  Pour over ribs.  Turn to coat.



Cover and cook on low 6 - 8 hours.


These were awesome!  They were tender and smoky and sticky and a little sweet.  Wonderful!  I will never be afraid to make ribs again.  Please try this recipe.  You'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment