Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tricks For A Better Breakfast

My kids love "Breakfast Night".  Every so often I cook all breakfast foods for supper.  It's a fun thing I've been doing since they were little.  Tonight, I was going to make bacon, hash browns and waffles.  But, when I saw a can of biscuits sitting in my fridge, I decided to try something new.  Instead of plain old regular waffles, I turned those canned biscuits into Cinnamon Sugar Waffles!  Here's how I did it:

CINNAMON SUGAR BISCUIT WAFFLES

1 can biscuits (like Pilsbury)
Melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Heat your waffle iron and brush some oil on it (the sugar will stick if you don't).

In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon.



Brush melted butter on each biscuit (front and back).


Roll the biscuits in the cinnamon sugar mixture.


Once the waffle iron is hot and ready, place 2 biscuits in and close the lid.  These cook fast.  They were done in 2 minutes!  



We drizzled some cane syrup on top and they were crazy good!  But you could make a cream cheese glaze or melt some strawberry preserves to pour on top or dust with powdered sugar.  Easy, fun and yummy!

Another trick I wanted to share that really blew my mind is cooking bacon in the oven.  I never knew the best way to do it and I hate splattering grease while cooking bacon in a skillet!  I saw this on Pinterest (there are actually a ton of pins about this - all different).  I found this method to work best:

OVEN BACON

Bacon
A broiler pan
Cooking spray

Do not preheat your oven!  This is important!  You want to put the bacon in a cold oven then turn on the heat.

Spray a broiler pan (it has holes to let the fat drip away.  You could also place a rack on a baking sheet with sides) with cooking spray.  Lay strips of bacon on the pan.  Place in cold oven, then turn heat on to 375 degrees.  After 10 minutes, flip the bacon and cook 10 minutes more or until crisp.


As you can see, the bacon doesn't curl up.  It lays nice and flat.  Plus, the fat drips away so it's not insanely greasy (let's face it, it is bacon so it's gonna be a bit greasy, but it's not swimming in fat).

One more breakfast tip to share.  Freeze orange juice in an ice cube tray.  Then you have orange juice ice cubes.  Place them in a glass and fill with champagne.  Voila!  Mimosas that stay nice and chilled!  

So, try one of these tips the next time you make breakfast.  And don't forget the mimosa!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment