Thursday, April 3, 2014

Cook A Whole Chicken In The Crock pot

Have you ever picked up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store because you just didn't feel like cooking supper?  Or didn't have the time to?  Well, here is an idea that will let you get that same convenience and tender, juicy chicken with minimum effort.  Cook a whole chicken in your crockpot!

When I first heard of this, I was skeptical.  Obviously, the skin can't get crispy.  But, you know, I didn't miss it.  I deboned the chicken and shredded it to use in other recipes and it was perfect!  Plus, it was so easy to do.

CROCKPOT ROTISSERIE CHICKEN

1 whole chicken, cleaned
your favorite seasoning (I used Tony Chachere's)

Place a foil ring into the bottom of your crockpot.  You don't need any liquid because the chicken will make plenty on it's own.


Clean the chicken and remove any giblets or parts that might be in the cavity.  Season well, inside and out.  Place the chicken, breast side up, on top of the foil ring.  The ring keeps the chicken from sitting in too much of its own juices.  Otherwise it will fall apart and be too difficult to get out in one piece.  You could also use vegetables in place of the ring.  Cut up some carrots or celery or potatoes (or all three) and sit the chicken on those.  Bonus: they add more flavor and you have a built-in side dish.



Put the lid on and cook on low for about 8 hours.  My chicken weighed 4.5 lbs.  If yours is bigger it may take a little longer.  You can check for doneness after 8 hours by wiggling a leg.  If it's loose, it's done.  But don't keep opening the lid.  Every time you do, it adds another 20 minutes to your cook time.  But 8 hours on low should do it unless you have a ginormous chicken.


As you can see, it was so tender that it just fell apart as I was removing it from the crockpot.  Which was fine with me.  I carved some up for supper that night, then shredded the rest.  I used it to make quesadillas and a quick chicken pot pie later in the week.  Super time saver!


If you are busy and need a way to get a jump start on supper, this recipe is for you.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment