Monday, August 11, 2014

Cannoli Dip

Cannoli are one of my favorite desserts.  Whenever I am in New York to visit the family, cannoli are on the must eat list (along with pizza, bagels, spumoni and prosciutto bread).  If you've never had one, a cannoli is an Italian pastry.  It's a crispy tube (almost like a waffle cone) filled with a sweet ricotta filling.  They are usually garnished with mini chocolate chips.  Here's a pic:



Cannoli aren't so easy to find down here in South Louisiana.  I finally happened upon a fruit market owned by an Italian family that stocks the shells, so I can make them myself.  However, I recently discovered a quick and easy way to get my cannoli fix without all the fuss.  Cannoli Dip!  I was watching a show on the Food Network called The Kitchen, and Jeff Mauro made a version of this that looked so good, I had to try it.  I changed it up a bit.  Here's what I did:

CANNOLI DIP WITH SWEET WON TON CHIPS

12 won ton wrappers, cut in half diagonally
melted butter (about 2-3 TBS)
sugar
pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 TBS mini chocolate chips

To make the "chips":

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut won ton wrappers in half diagonally.  Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet.  Brush with melted butter.  Sprinkle a bit of sugar on each, then sprinkle a bit of pumpkin pie spice onto each.  Bake at 400 degrees for 4 - 5 minutes or until crispy and golden.  Watch them closely because they will burn quickly!  Remove to a serving plate and set aside.

To make the dip:

Mix ricotta, vanilla and powdered sugar until smooth.  Put into a serving bowl then sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top.  Refrigerate any leftovers.





This is rich and delicious!  The sweet, crispy won tons take the place of the pastry shell.  You really get all the flavors of a cannoli with minimal effort.  Awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment