Thursday, September 25, 2014

(Crock) Pot Roast

My Old School Italian Husband loves pot roast.  It's one of his favorite dishes.  You know, slow cooked roast beef with potatoes, onions, celery and carrots that's simmered all day on the stove.  It is delicious but kind of a pain in the neck.  I mean, who has time to babysit a roast?  You gotta keep checking the liquid level and adding more water blah blah blah.  Who needs it?

I get the same result just sticking everything in the crock pot!  It's super easy.  I just throw it together in the morning and forget about it.  Then, I have a yummy, comforting supper waiting for me that evening.  My husband gets his pot roast and I get to relax all day!  Win win!

(CROCK) POT ROAST

2 - 3 lb. Chuck roast (great use for inexpensive cut of meat)
2 medium russet potatoes, cut into chunks
1 cup baby carrots
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
Salt and pepper
14 oz can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 packet brown gravy mix (McCormick)
1 tsp Italian seasoning

Place potatoes, carrots, celery and onions into crock pot.



Season with salt and pepper.  Place roast on top.  Season roast with salt and pepper.



In a large measuring cup, mix canned tomatoes (including juice), gravy mix and Italian seasoning.  Stir well.  (I zip it in the blender because my pickiest eater ever son hates tomatoes but likes tomato sauce.  Go figure.  But you can skip the blender if you like chunks of tomato).  Pour over the roast.





Cover crock pot and cook on low 6 - 8 hours.  The meat will shrink but it becomes tender and juicy and so delicious!  The tomatoes help to tenderize the meat and form a wonderful gravy.  The veggies soak up all the flavors, too.  Yum!








This recipe is a must try.  You'll love how easy it is and your family will love how yummy it is.  Like I said, win win!






No comments:

Post a Comment