Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Roasted Teriyaki Salmon

In the quest to get my family to eat healthier (and by that I mean my Old School Italian Husband and Pickiest-Eater-Ever Son) I've had to search my mind and the internet for recipes that won't scare them away from the table.  It's been an adventure to say the least.  Over the years I've seen my son literally gag on carrots and my husband nickname one of my casseroles,  a "Gross-a-role".  Yeah.  That happened.

Usually, I just try to slip in one super-healthy dish to the meal.  But tonight I went all out.  Salmon, broccoli and quinoa all at once! (Cue evil laugh)

I'm not gonna lie, my son freaked out a little.  But my Old School Italian Husband ate it...and liked it.  Score one for his arteries!

Here's the salmon recipe:

ROASTED TERIYAKI SALMON

4 salmon portions (you can usually buy it already portioned)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS canola oil (plus more for the pan)
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBS freshly grated ginger root (or 1 tsp ground ginger)
Salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.  Brush a little oil on the foil so the fish won't stick.

Mix together the soy sauce, brown sugar, canola oil, seasoned salt, garlic powder and ginger.  Pour over the fish (in a zip bag or a container) and let sit 10 minutes.  You don't want to marinate it too long or the acid in the marinade will start to "cook" the fish.


Shake off the excess marinade (gently) and place the fish on the prepared baking sheet.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper (not too much salt, the marinade is salty).


Bake in a preheated oven (425 degrees) for about 6 minutes per 1/2 inch of thickness.  My pieces weren't very thick, but some are.  Mine took 10 minutes.  You can tell they are done by sticking a fork in and twisting gently.  If it flakes easily, it's done.  Don't over cook it!  Nothing worse than over done seafood.



I like to garnish it with a few green onions.  Roasted broccoli with tomatoes and quinoa seasoned with a little sesame oil and ginger (not pictured) round out this super healthy meal.

Even though my Pickiest-Eater-Ever Son didn't eat too much (every little bit helps) my Old School Italian Husband did.  I count that as a win.  By the way, I loved it.  In case you were wondering.


No comments:

Post a Comment