Saturday, January 31, 2015

Bacon Wrapped Chicken (made in the slow cooker!)

I've been reading cook books lately.  Lots of cook books.  I miss cooking so much that I just lay around and think about what I'll cook when I'm up and around again.  (Recovery update:  I stood up without crutches the other day!  That may sound ridiculous to you but it was a pretty big deal for me).  Anyway, I found this recipe for bacon wrapped chicken that's made in a slow cooker.  Sounded interesting.  But, some of the ingredients weren't my family's favorite.  So, I fiddled with it a little and changed it up a bit.  Then, with my husband's help, I wheeled into the kitchen and gave it a try.

BACON WRAPPED CHICKEN

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 slices thick-cut bacon
Salt and pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 onion, thickly sliced
1/2 cup sour cream

Place sliced onion into the slow cooker.



Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.


Wrap a slice of bacon around each chicken breast and place them on top of the onions.


In a large measuring cup mix broth and soup well.


Pour the broth mixture into the slow cooker.



Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.


At this point, the chicken is fully cooked.  However, the bacon is chewy.  If you like chewy bacon, eat it as is.  I like my bacon a little crispier, so I removed the chicken to a cookie sheet and placed it under the broiler for a few minutes.  Just until the bacon crisped up.

Before:

After:

Now to finish the sauce.  I removed the onions and discarded them because my Pickiest-Eater-Ever Son won't eat them.  Plus, it makes for a smoother sauce.  But you can leave them in if you like.

Then, I whisked in the sour cream.


 Now, just ladle the sauce into a gravy boat and serve it with the chicken.




This was very easy to make.  The hardest part was wrapping the bacon around the chicken (and that wasn't hard at all).

The chicken was moist and infused with flavor from the bacon and onions.  (Two of the best flavors in the world, by the way). The sauce was creamy and delicious, also full of flavor from simmering with bacon and onions.  Easy and delicious... My favorite kind of supper!  (And, if I can do it without standing up, you can definitely do it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment