Saturday, May 2, 2015

Chili Lime Baked Chicken

I cook a lot of chicken. It's something everyone likes, even the pickiest of eaters.  However, it can get a little boring.  So, I'm always looking for new ways to make it. The other day I looked in the pantry and fridge to see what I had on hand and came up with this marinade.  It turned out pretty good!  My Pickiest Eater Ever Son loved it!  When that happens, I write the recipe down and call it a keeper.  Here it is:



*Note:  I doubled this recipe because I wanted leftovers. A few nights later, I shredded the chicken and used it to make quesadillas.  Yum!


CHILI LIME BAKED CHICKEN

4-6 pieces bone in chicken (legs or thighs or a combo)
2 TBS lime juice
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp garlic powder (fresh garlic would burn here)
1 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 TBS honey

Place chicken in a big zip top bag.  Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl with a whisk until well combined.


Pour marinade over the chicken and seal bag.  Make sure all of the chicken is covered well.


Place in the fridge for at least a few hours.  *Tip:  put the bag in a bowl just in case it leaks it won't get all over your fridge!  You could fix this up in the morning and let it sit all day in the fridge.  The longer it marinates the better. But not more than a day.  The lime juice (which tenderizes the meat) can actually start to cook the chicken if left too long.

When you're ready to cook it, preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place chicken in a baking dish (or big cast iron skillet).  Don't pour the extra marinade on top, discard it.  Too much liquid and the chicken will steam instead of bake properly.


Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 45-55 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken.  Just make sure it's no longer pink inside.


This chicken was very tender (the lime juice does that) and flavorful.  The skin was crispy and golden (the sugar and honey does that).  

I will definitely be making this again. I always have these ingredients in my kitchen, it was easy and my picky eaters were satisfied.  That's a win in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment