Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Nanny Steph's Breakfast Casserole

I got this recipe many, many years ago in college (wait, not that many years ago).  My friend, Steph, and I took a public speaking class and had to give a how-to speech.  She spoke on how to make this breakfast casserole.  Afterward, she gave out the recipe to the class on a slip of paper.  I recently found that slip of paper tucked into a cookbook.  I decided to make it and share it with my kids (who call her Nanny Steph).  They loved it!


*Note:  I halved this recipe.

NANNY STEPH'S BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

6 slices of bread (white, wheat, whatever you have)
8 eggs
1 lb Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp Cajun Seasoning, optional
shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook sausage and crumble.  Drain off the grease.


Break the bread into small pieces and place in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.


Scatter the cooked sausage over the bread.


In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and seasoning.


Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and bread.



Top with as much shredded cheese as you like.


Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.  (45 minutes was perfect for me).




You could substitute bacon or ham for the sausage and use any kind of cheese you have (pepper jack would be so good).  This casserole is really easy to make.  It's a hearty breakfast that fills you up.  Plus, it's yummy!  Thanks Nanny Steph!

No comments:

Post a Comment