Monday, August 31, 2015

Chicken Dorito Casserole

This casserole is infamous in our house.  My daughter and I love it.  My Old School Italian husband and Pickiest Eater Ever Son, not so much.  In fact, my husband went so far as to call it "Dorito Grosserole".  Yeah.  That happened.  But, in the casserole's defense, he didn't really give it a chance.  He doesn't like anything creamy or cheesy (or anything called a "casserole").  This casserole is both creamy and cheesy, so he barely looked at it.  Forget about actually trying it.

I made it the other day for lunch, secretly hoping my husband would open his mind enough to give it a second chance.  My daughter and I, again, loved it.  What did my husband do?  He said, "Hey it's Dorito Grosserole" and walked out of the room.

Maybe you will have more of an open mind.  Here's the recipe:




*Note:  I halved this recipe because I knew only two of us would be eating it.  But I wish I would have made the whole recipe because it was awesome left over the next day (and the day after that)!

CHICKEN DORITO CASSEROLE

4 TBS butter (or margarine)
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
3 cups cooked shredded chicken (great use for leftovers or use a rotisserie chicken)
1 large bag Doritos
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Saute the onions in the butter for a few minutes.


Add the broth, soups and Rotel.  Mix well.


Add the chicken and heat through.


Butter a 9x13 baking dish.  (This is an 8x8 dish because I halved the recipe)


Layer the buttered dish with half of the Doritos...


Half of the chicken mixture...


One third of the cheese...


The remainder of the chips...


The remainder of the chicken mixture...


and the remainder of the cheese.


Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese melts and it's bubbly on top.




Let it cool a while before cutting (otherwise it will be too gloppy, I'm pretty sure that's a word).


This is basically a chicken tortilla casserole.  Doritos are just fried corn tortillas, so when they are baked in the broth and tomatoes, they soften and the corn flavor really shines through.  The seasoning on the chips give this casserole a nice flavor.  So, even though it may sound weird, it's really not.  It's just short-cut Tex-Mex.

Even though my husband is not a fan (actually, won't even give it a try), I hope you will.  It's actually delicious.  (I should know, I ate it for lunch three days in a row).

No comments:

Post a Comment