Friday, November 13, 2015

Chocolate Fudge Cake

The renovations continue and I'm feeling a little closed in.  Since the master bedroom is under construction, I don't have my own space to retreat to.  We are, for the time being, sharing one bathroom and there are boxes everywhere.  Everywhere except the kitchen.  The kitchen has always been my favorite place, now even more so.  It's the one room in my house, right now, that I have total control over.  I can kick everyone out and cook.  By myself.

The other day I decided to make a cake just because I could.  I found a few things in the pantry and threw them together.  The results were pretty good.  Here's what I did:




CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE:

1 box devil's food cake mix
4 eggs, room temp*
1 cup milk, room temp*
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (14 oz) can condensed milk
1 (11.75 oz) jar hot fudge topping
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1 cup chocolate chips, optional

*You get better results with room temperature eggs and milk.  Let them sit out on the counter for a little while before using.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease the bottom only of a 9x13 baking dish (or cake pan).  I like to use margarine spread for this.  It works great and gives a buttery flavor.  The reason you only grease the bottom is because you want the cake to grab onto the sides so it can rise evenly.  Ever see a cake that was way higher in the middle than the sides?  Greasing only the bottom helps yield an even cake.  


Mix the cake mix, eggs, milk, oil and vanilla extract on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes.



Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Meanwhile, mix the condensed milk and hot fudge topping together until well blended.  Set aside.



When the cake is done, while still hot, poke holes all over with a fork or chopstick.




Slowly pour the condensed milk mixture over the cake.


Spread to evenly cover the cake.



Let it sit and cool a bit.  You'll see the cake soaks up the condensed milk mixture.


Meanwhile, toast the pecans.  This is super easy.  Just throw them into a dry skillet over medium heat.  Stir them often.  It just takes a few minutes for them to toast up.  You'll be able to smell when they're ready.


Chop the pecans and sprinkle them all over the cake.


If you're a choc-a-holic, sprinkle on some chocolate chips,too.

You can top it with anything you have on hand, toasted coconut, mini marshmallows, crushed Oreos, sprinkles, broken Halloween candy, whatever you like.  I had pecans and chocolate chips, so that's what I used.



This cake is so moist and delicious.  I love the crunch from the pecans.  Here's what the inside looks like:



This is a sweet treat that's easy to make and customize with what's in your pantry.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to sit in my kitchen, alone, with a piece of cake and a glass of milk and enjoy the quiet, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment