Monday, March 7, 2016

Chicken and Sausage Creole Stew




Hello everyone!  So sorry I haven't posted in a while.  Man, have we been busy!  First of all my son had pneumonia!  Poor thing was so sick.  Then, I went to visit my daughter in Orlando.  She was accepted to the Disney College Program and is working in the Magic Kingdom this semester.  My Mama, my best friend and I have been planning a trip to see her.  Our birthdays are close together so I thought it would be a great way to celebrate.  When my son got sick, it looked like the trip was off.  But, thankfully, he was feeling much better and had Daddy and Paw Paw to take care of him, so we went on our trip as planned.  My daughter was so excited to see us!  It was worth it.

Here we are in front of our favorite ride, Pirates of the Caribbean.


It was beautiful in Orlando!  We couldn't have asked for better weather!

Louisiana weather, on the other hand, has been predictably unpredictable!  One day is gorgeous and the next is miserable.  When it's yucky outside, I crave a warm, spicy stew.  This creole stew is perfect for a cold night.  It has chicken, smoky sausage, the trinity of Cajun cooking (onion, celery, bell pepper), a sweetness from the tomatoes and a great spice from hot sauce and seasoning.  A true taste of Louisiana!


CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CREOLE STEW

1 lb boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed (I left mine in big pieces)
1/2 lb smoked sausage, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (any color)
2 green onions, sliced
Cajun Seasoning (I love Tony Chachere's)
1 TBS Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce (optional)
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
3 splashes hot sauce
2 TBS butter
2 TBS flour
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water

Season the chicken with Cajun seasoning and set aside.  Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.  Let it get good and hot.  Brown the sausage on both sides.




Once the sausage is browned, remove it from the pot and set aside.

Now brown the chicken on both sides.  I left mine in pretty big pieces, but you can cut them up into smaller chunks if you like.



Once the chicken is browned, remove and set aside.

Next, add the onion, celery, bell pepper and green onion to the pot.  Saute for about 5 minutes, until cooked down and limp.



Add the Kitchen Bouquet, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.  Stir well.


Add the butter and let melt.  Stir well.


Add the flour and stir well.  Let the flour cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.


Add the broth, water and tomatoes (including the juice).  Stir.


Return the chicken and sausage to the pot.  Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Look how thick and rich this stew is.



Serve over rice.


This stew is smoky and rich, with just the right amount of spice.  So comforting on a cold night.

When I visited my daughter, she told me what she missed the most was my cooking.  Good thing I brought along some leftovers!     

No comments:

Post a Comment