Thursday, July 28, 2016

Crockpot Chicken and Gravy

Summer is here in full force and it has been a never-ending trail of 90+ degree days.  It's so hot that I can barely handle going outside at all.  I usually love to cook on my grill, but that would be downright torture.  So, when it's this hot, I make use of the Crockpot.  It keeps my kitchen cool and leaves me free to sit with my feet up (possibly drinking a daiquiri) instead of manning a hot stove.  Here's a simple, yummy recipe for the Crockpot.





CROCKPOT CHICKEN AND GRAVY

5 chicken leg quarters (or 10 bone-in pieces such as legs and thighs)
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots (or a handful of baby carrots), chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1 packet dry chicken gravy mix
salt and pepper

Place chopped celery, carrots and onion in the Crockpot.



Place the chicken on top and season with salt and pepper.


Mix the broth and gravy well and pour on top of the chicken.





Cover with the lid and cook on HIGH for 5-6 hours (I did 5 hours).



Be sure the chicken is cooked all the way through.


Skim the grease off the top of the gravy.  If you use skinless chicken you won't have nearly as much excess grease.


Spoon the gravy over the chicken and garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.


I like to serve this over rice with biscuits to sop up the gravy!  Yum!


The chicken is fall-off-the-bone tender and absolutely delicious!  When you slow cook chicken on the bone, it imparts so much flavor.  The gravy is on the thinner side, I don't like really thick gravy in a dish like this.  It's more like a sauce and goes great over rice or mashed potatoes.

This recipe is so easy and tasty that you just have to try it.  Let me know how it turns out.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment