Sunday, July 17, 2016

Fig Cobbler

I want to start today's post on a somber note.  I woke up this morning to news that 7 police officers were shot in Baton Rouge, 3 were killed.  My brother and nephew are cops in Baton Rouge so this hit way too close to home.  They are OK, but my prayers go out to the officers and families who are not, who are dealing with unimaginable sadness.  These officers were just doing their job, protecting all of us, and they were ambushed.  It's a horrific situation.  Please join me in praying for all of our men and women in blue and their families.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I have a fig tree in my back yard, a gift from my Daddy.  It's loaded with big, beautiful figs.  The variety is called LSU Purple Figs, really, a variety of figs named for a college football team.  Welcome to the South.  Anyway, these figs are so pretty I just had to make them into a delicious dessert.





FIG COBBLER

4 cups chopped figs
1/4 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1 cup milk
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix the chopped figs with 1/4 cup sugar.




Let them sit, covered for at least 30 minutes, or until juices form.  You can do this the night before and let them sit in the fridge overnight.  That's what I did.




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the butter and pour into a 9 inch square baking dish (or a cast iron skillet).




In a big mixing bowl, mix milk, self-rising flour, 1 cup sugar and vanilla extract just until lumps are gone (do not over mix).



Pour the batter over the butter in baking dish.


Pour the figs and the juices over the batter, evenly distributing the figs.



Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.



Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.

Look at the yummy, buttery, crispy edges!


And the delicious, tender figs!


Serve this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (I love Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla).  Perfect!


You can substitute any fruit you like for the figs.  I've made this with peaches, blackberries, strawberries, and cherries.  It's a great basic cobbler recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment